The War on Real Eggs was on display this weekend in Chicago
I have just returned from a research assignment in Chicago with Ms. Screencaps to attend the annual National Restaurant Show where companies showcase the latest in food, cutlery, beverage, technology, innovation and solutions to make better business.
Ms. Screencaps is responsible for designing one of the largest stands on the McCormick Place floor, so we go out every year to see her creation come to life.
I’m with me because the NRA show is, on my mind, because I love food samples and this place is Costco’s Saturday sample on the best PED ARod ever shot in his ass, or anywhere where he drove them into his bloodstream.
Let me be 110% clear – this might be the most samples I’ve ever seen at the NRA show and I liked 5-6 of those shows. Dare I say it was overwhelming? At some point after the Wisconsin ice I had to take a break. The samples were piling up and the banana ice cream with little wafer pieces hit me hard.
Yes, I finally bounced back to pound on a sample pizza slice, NY Strip bits and an Icee, but my production level definitely slowed.
My biggest takeaways from the 2023 show:
- Do we really need eggs without eggs? Plant-based eggs? Eggs made from processed mung beans? I tried the fake eggs and the only flavor I got was from the red pepper chunks mixed in with the “eggs”. Would I consider buying fake eggs to replace the normal eggs I consume? Absolutely not. I’m doing well. Give me real eggs from a real hen.
- Where were the ice cream wholesalers? For two consecutive years now, Italian ice cream brands have not been found in the two main halls of the show.
- The Chinese invasion is HERE. I’ve lost count of Chinese vendors pushing their bamboo cutlery, food processors, take-out food boxes, plates, cups, etc. I’m sure they don’t undermine American business. I’m sure this is all great for American business.
- 2022 was all about robots, takeout food lockers, and companies offering fake plant-based meat options. All three were cut this year. The take out food lockers seem to be dead and there were maybe 2 or 3 legit fry flipping robots doing their thing.
- Fake shrimp? I haven’t even tried the plant based shrimp. I won’t bear it. I won’t buy it. The world doesn’t need it. Remove this garbage from the market.
- I might need a Slurpee/Icee machine for the basement. The two longest sample lines were for Slurpees and Nathan’s Little Hot Dogs. Seriously, you could grab a packet of hot dogs and heat them up on your Blackstone faster than those people could get to the front of the line to get a two-inch Nathan’s sample. Meanwhile, the line for the prime rib sampler was maybe 6-7 people. Some people have their priorities completely out of balance.
- There was a screen where a company was promoting the future of the drive-thru experience with a Tesla and a dashboard screen. Didn’t take a good look at the full promotion of what they were doing but I have to believe we’re not far off from a touch screen that activates when you get in line to view the menu and order merely . And because it’s 2023, I have to believe that payment is made to the fast food company through that company’s technology that they’re taking a percentage of.
- I had my very first stroopwafel on Sunday and it won’t be my last. Are you kidding me? This wafer thing was pure heaven. “That stroopwafel thing was damn good,” Ms. Screencaps said This Morning.
- While in the past it seemed like the push at the NRA show was for robots to weed out fast food workers to cut costs, the mood this year is that robots might have no other choice but to get up your ass and get to work because of the labor shortage in this country and around the world. Now I am convinced that robots are not to be feared… as long as they are not given weapons.
The Trump Hotel Chicago is legit
I’m not a world traveler like you, but I like to think I know a good hotel when I stay there. The Trump Chicago lived up to the billing. The place didn’t miss a single thing. It was first class from the minute we pulled up to the valet. There were no important attitudes, just helpful guys doing their thing.
No, there were no Trump murals anywhere. No, there were no campaign signs for Trump 2024.
Yes, we tried the free bottles of Trump Water® and it tasted like your normal H2O.
Yes, I was mesmerized by the TV in the bathroom mirror. It’s the touch I expect from a 5 star hotel. I didn’t even know I needed a mirror TV in the bathroom until I experienced it. I have to say, it’s a lot easier to get ready for dinner when you can watch the PGA Championship in the bathroom.
IG images not loading on iOS – again
I’ll let Matt speak on behalf of the dozens of people who have written over the past 6-7 days.
• Matt writes:
Hi Joe – I tried the latest fix you posted a few months ago regarding deleting website data in settings and it was working for me until about 10 days ago.
Now the problem is back and this fix does not help.
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for all you do for us regular guys.
I can’t remember which reader solved the problem last time, but I’m again asking for the public’s help on this one. One of you must have a solution to get IGs working again. I’ll tell you what, I’ll send (ONE) item from the OutKick store to whoever fixes the problem.
That’s right, about me.
Someone make IG Great Again because people beat me to this one – again.
That’s all for this morning.
It’s the last week of school around here and I know a lot of you are kicking your ass tying it all up to work so you can slip away on Thursday and not come back until after the holidays. Buckle up and carry on for four solid days. Deal?